Do You Really Need a Water Softener?
Hard water has a high amount of dissolved minerals (especially calcium and magnesium) that tend to get deposited along the surfaces of the materials water comes in contact with. Also, hard water decreases the effectiveness of soap and detergent powders. These issues make our daily tasks such as cleaning difficult. Water softener installation is crucial to get rid of problems caused by hard water. Our team of professionals at Tiger Plumbing strives to provide complete customer satisfaction for all our plumbing, drain cleaning and repair services. We have received various awards of distinction from several organizations for our repair and installation services.
Here are a few signs that your home needs a water softener:
• Stains on Sinks and Bath Tubs - Dissolved minerals in hard water create stains on your sinks, toilets and bathtubs. Spray the stained area with a mix of one cup bleach, half cup powdered dishwasher detergent and vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse your sink or tub.
• Scale Buildup – Minerals from hard water can get deposited on your showerheads or bathroom floors as well as inside the plumbing system. This scale buildup affects the normal functioning of appliances such as washing machines and geysers, resulting in expensive repairs.
• Rapid and Premature Aging of Water Heaters – An electric water heater can malfunction or fail due to scale buildup on heating elements.
• Higher Utility and Energy Bills – Utility bills might increase due to hard water deposits on boilers and heaters as the plumbing system works harder to push water through. Energy bills could increase as appliances such as boilers and heaters consume more energy to heat water.
• Faded Laundry – Hard water reduces the cleansing ability of soap and laundry detergents. As a result, your linens fade, become dull and develop a sour smell after washing. Fabrics also wear out prematurely due to dissolved minerals in hard water.
• Dry Skin and Hair – Minerals in hard water tend to make your skin and hair dry, flaky and itchy. Skin pores may get blocked, resulting in inflammation, pimples and blackheads.
The best way to determine whether or not you need a water softener installation is to get the water at your home tested. Use a DIY kit available at stores to conduct the test yourself at home. You can also get the water tested by the local water department. The hardness of water is classified into four categories based on the amount of dissolved calcium carbonate in water.
• Soft to slightly hard – 0 to 60 milligrams (mg/L) of dissolved calcium carbonate
• Moderately Hard – 61 to 120 mg/L
• Hard – 121 to 180 mg/L
• Very Hard – More than 180 mg/L
Water softener installation is quick and the appliance is easy to maintain. The softeners work by ion exchange where the dissolved mineral ions are exchanged for sodium or potassium ions. To learn the differences between a water softener and a water filter, read our blog – ‘Water Softener vs. Water Filter: Which Is Better for Your Home?’
Contact us today for 24 hours plumbing emergency services in Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph and Cambridge.